By Brittany Nelson, USAS Public Relations & Communications Manager
SANTIAGO, CHILE (Oct. 26, 2023) – Mary Tucker tops the podium as the 2023 Pan American Games Champion in Women’s 50m Smallbore Rifle Oct. 25 in Santiago, Chile.
Tucker was one of the top eight athletes who earned a spot in the finals after shooting a qualification score of 590 and 32x. Tucker was joined in the final by Sagen Maddalena who tied the qualification world record with a score of 596 and 40x.
In the final, Tucker secured her gold with a final score of 458.4, setting a new Pan American Games final record. Maddalena finished in second place overall with her score of 457.2.
“Sagen and I have been going back and forth recently, both in air gun and smallbore, so it is nice to have that internationally and not just in the U.S.,” said Tucker, a two-time World Championship medalist. “It is nice to have someone from your own country up there. I don’t mind if it is her gold and my silver or my gold and her silver, I am just happy that the U.S. has one and two.”
Tucker and Maddalena also went head-to-head in the Women’s 10m Air Rifle final. Maddalena took gold, triumphing over Fernanda Russo of Argentina. Tucker was close behind, earning bronze.
Tucker is taking home a total of three medals from her Pan American Games debut. She claimed gold in Mixed Team Air Rifle alongside Rylan Kissell and bronze in Women’s 10m Air Rifle. Maddalena is also taking home three Pan American Games medals. She earned a Pan American Games Champion title in Women’s 10m Air Rifle and a bronze in Mixed Team Air Rifle with Gavin Barnick.
After the U.S. Olympic Trials Part One, Mary is currently sitting in the number two overall spot in Women’s 50m Smallbore rifle, one spot below Sagen Maddalena, and third overall in Women’s 10m Air Rifle, just below Alison Weisz, second, and Maddalena, first. Tucker mentioned that she feels confident for the second part of Olympic trials this December.
“I am on the right track,” said Tucker. “I am going to keep working on both of my guns, but this definitely gives me confidence that my smallbore is going the way I need it to so I am happy with the progress.
USA Shooting athletes have topped the podium 13 times as of Oct. 25. Our partners and sponsors, including The NRA Foundation, Safari Club International, The International Order of T. Roosevelt, Hillsdale College, The MidwayUSA Foundation, Spandau, ELEY, White Flyer, Ruger, NSSF, Winchester, and USCCA among others have been a huge support for this successful 2023 Pan American Games Team. Medals include the following:
- Vincent Hancock: Gold, Men’s Skeet
- Sagen Maddalena: Gold, Women’s 10m Air Rifle
- Mary Tucker: Bronze, Women’s 10m Air Rifle
- Rylan Kissell: Silver, Men’s 10m Air Rifle
- Henry Leverett: Bronze, Men’s Rapid Fire Pistol (secured the U.S. an Olympic quota for Paris)
- Rylan Kissell & Mary Tucker: Gold, Mixed 10m Air Rifle Team
- Sagen Maddalena & Gavin Barnick: Bronze, Mixed 10m Air Rifle Team
- Vincent Hancock & Dania Vizzi: Gold, Mixed Skeet Team
- Dustan Taylor & Austen Smith: Bronze, Mixed Skeet Team
- Alexis Lagan: Bronze, Women’s 25m Sport Pistol
- Mary Tucker: Gold, Women’s 50m Smallbore Rifle
- Sagen Maddalena: Silver, Women’s 50m Smallbore Rifle
- Alexis Lagan: Silver, Women’s 10m Air Pistol (secured the U.S. an Olympic quota for Paris)
USA Shooting athletes will be competing in rifle, pistol, and shotgun events through Oct. 27. View live scores here: https://results-santiago2023.org/#/discipline/SHO/schedule/daily
Follow @USAShooting on social media for competition updates and results.