Lanny R. Bassham
Hall of Fame
Date of birth:
- 1972 Olympic Games - Silver, Three-Position Smallbore
- 1976 Olympic Games - Gold, Three-Position Smallbore
Shooting sports legend Lanny Bassham began shooting at the age of 12, where he then moved on to shooting on his high school rifle team. His shooting sports career became a greater part of his life after joining the rifle team and ROTC at the University of Texas-Arlington, where he was a four-time All-American. Graduating with a degree in business, Bassham then took his shooting career to the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, where he shot for four years.
Bassham is now a highly respected coach and motivational speaker, having produced several books and sets of videotapes for sports psychology and motivation. As a coach, he ran an International Shooting School for ten years, and was also the Olympic Team coach for Korea and India in 1984. He and his wife Helen have three children; Brian, Troy, and Heather. He enjoys watching films and traveling in his spare time.
- 1973 Championship of the Americas - Silver, 10M Air Rifle
- 1974 World Championships - 3x40 Champion, 300m Free Rifle
- 1974 World Championships - Champion, 300m Free Rifle Standing
- 1974 World Championships - Champion, 300m Free Rifle Prone
- 1978 World Championships - Gold, Three-Position Smallbore
- 1978 World Championships - Bronze, Prone Smallbore
- 1976 Olympic Champion